12/16/07

Fear of missing out


On Saturday I went to a secondhand book sale at a municipal library. I came away with six books for a total of only $5.

I've been to booksales at this library before -- they hold them every two months or so. Now I don't know about you, but I get a terrible fear of missing out whenever I attend sales at the time when they begin. I'm terrified that with so many other people wanting cheap goods I'll come away having missed out on the best bargains. At the same time I feel quite combative -- my competitive streak comes out something shocking! (I'm sure it's got something to do with the fact that I come from a large family.) I've tried to train myself to calm down a bit, and I think it's working. I tell myself that if I follow my energy, I'll go to the parts of the store or space I need to go to find what's right for me.

This was really tested on Saturday. A few of us waited outside the front of the library for the librarian to come and open the door. She did, at a few minutes past the time of opening. In an orderly fashion we trooped downstairs to the basement where the sale was being held. But the back door had already been opened so there were people at the sale already! My first reaction was one of dismay. Then I told myself to calm down and just see what was around. After all, everyone has different taste in books. True, there were what appeared to be a couple of secondhand book dealers there, but most of us were just bookworms looking for a cheap read.

So I browsed without panic, although just as it did last time, the tiny basement soon became crammed with people. And as I said at the beginning, I scored six books, among them Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence (I need some of that) and Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Another successful Inspired Shopping expedition!

No comments :